Compression Stockings Information
Due to health challenges or job-related factors, many people find themselves in need of compression stockings. Eagle Highland Pharmacy carries the Bell-Horn, TED and Jobst brands of compression hosiery in Indianapolis.
Displayed are Knee-High Stockings on the left, and Open Toed Stockings on the right.
Who Needs Compression Hosiery?
Specialized stockings can be used to alleviate many ailments. Here are just some of the different circumstances can lead to the need for compression hosiery:
- Tired, aching legs — People whose jobs require long periods of standing or sitting often have this problem. After prolonged sitting or standing, blood pools at your ankles. A compression stocking of 8-15 mmHg is the right choice for those looking to relieve leg fatigue and get the support they need for their busy days.
- Swelling — People who struggle with mild edema will benefit from wearing compression socks or compression hosiery in the 15-20 mmHg range. Moderate to severe swelling may require greater compression. Remember that wearing compression hosiery greater than 20mmHg should necessitate your doctor’s approval.
- Varicose veins — Varicose veins occur when blood backflows or pools in a damaged vein. Varicose veins can be mild or severe in nature. Consult with your doctor to see what type of compression stockings would best suit your condition. Most commonly, 20-30 mmHg is the recommended compression stocking for varicose veins. We have a variety to choose from.
- Venous insufficiency — Damaged valves in the veins can cause blood to pool in legs, which leads to swelling and pain. Untreated, venous insufficiency can lead to skin damage and leg ulcers. If you have this condition, a 30-40 mmHg compression stocking can be beneficial, but consult with your doctor for the best compression stocking for you.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) — DVT occurs when a blood clot forms in a deep vein, blocking the flow of blood. Consult with your doctor about this condition. Most often 30-40 mmHg compression hosiery is recommend for this condition.
- Post-surgery — Patients my need the support of compression stockings following certain types of surgery. Your physician should recommend the type of compression socks for your condition, and we’ll help you find their recommendation.
If you’re looking for compression stockings in Indy, visit Eagle Highland Pharmacy. We carry hosiery that is available in many styles, including knee length, thigh high, pantyhose, and open- and closed-toe.